On Friday, November 6, representatives from the Flagler County Chamber of Commerce attended the Flagler County Legislation Delegation meeting to present awards to Senator Travis Hutson and Representative Paul Renner.
Chamber President Rebecca DeLorenzo, Government Affairs Director Gretchen Smith and Lea Stokes, chair of the Chamber’s Business Issues Committee and vice chair of the Flagler Chamber Foundation, presented both legislators with 2015 Honor Roll Awards from the Florida Chamber. The Florida Chamber gives out these annual awards to state senators and representatives based on their voting record during the legislative session and their level of support for the Chamber’s Florida Business Agenda.
During the same meeting, Ms. Stokes shared the Flagler Chamber’s legislative priorities for 2016:
- Phase out the business rent tax, as Florida is the only state that collects one. (Senate Bill 116, House Bill 247.)
- Streamline licensing and permitting processes to reduce overall regulatory burden.
- Support funding for local, state and federal measures to increase access to capital for small businesses.
- Advocate for the funding and creation of a best practices toolbox for the Flagler County Department of Economic Opportunity and local government planning, zoning and future land use initiatives.
- Oppose rising workers’ compensation insurance rates that harm small businesses.
- Support efforts to permanently eliminate sales tax on manufacturing machinery and equipment. (Florida Senate Bill 98, House Bill 115.)
- Align with the Florida Chamber and U.S. Chamber to oppose the Department of Labor’s proposal to raise the salary limit for employees eligible for overtime pay from $23,660 per year to $50,400 annually.
- Support legislation that seeks to identify a new formula that adequately funds Florida schools no matter the size or location of their district.
The Flagler County Chamber will take a small delegation of local business owners to Tallahassee in early January (January 13 to 15) and again in early March (date to be determined) to meet key House and Senate members about these and other local priorities. For more information, or to be part of the delegation, please contact Gretchen Smith at 386-206-0953.
With nearly 800 members, the Flagler County Chamber of Commerce is one of the largest member-based organizations in Flagler County. The Chamber has served and supported its community since 1962 with a mission of helping local businesses thrive. For more information, call 386.437.0106, or visit www.flaglerchamber.org.
Pictured below L to R: Senator Travis Hutson, Lea Stokes, Gretchen Smith & Representative Paul Renner